Coping mechanisms are something I’ve been meaning to talk about here on the podcast for a while, and given the current pandemic, this is the perfect time to dive into them. You’ve probably been stuck at home over the last few weeks either alone, or with your spouse or family, and so you might be in a situation where you’re occasionally finding yourself feeling negative emotions. The question is, what do you do to deal with these negative feelings?
Most of us want to get away from them as soon as we can, and that might mean reaching for chips or chocolate, drinking a glass of wine, shopping online, or even running. While an activity like running seems like it could have no downside, you’re still left with the emotions you tried avoiding, and today, I’m showing you why these coping mechanisms don’t work or serve you.
Join me today as I show you what coping mechanisms are and why these buffers lead to consequences you don’t like. There is absolutely no upside to these habits, and I’ll also be outlining why they become just that: habits. The key is to gain more awareness around the thoughts you’re thinking, and I’m giving you some questions you can ask yourself to do that.
The Rebel Runner Roadmap is a 30-day online class where I teach you the fundamentals of running. This is a class where you’ll learn how to start running the right way, or how to up-level your running. From running form, strength training, stretching, to all the brain work, it’s all in there. Doors are open for enrollment now, so get in there!
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- What coping mechanisms are and what ‘coping’ really means.
- How buffering leads to consequences you don’t like.
- Why running is only a temporary fix for your negative emotions.
- The results of not finding a way to handle your emotions.
- Why buffers become habits that don’t serve you.
- One question to ask yourself to bring more awareness to your thoughts.
- Why your buffers can seem unconscious and automatic.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at email@example.com
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Join Run Your Best Life to get exclusive content from a podcast accessible just for members!
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!