Something that’s on a lot of your minds right now is how to start running again after taking a break over this pandemic. Whether it was an intentional break to focus on other things like work and homeschooling your kids, or an accidental one where you woke up one day and realized you haven’t put your running shoes on for weeks, this is going to help you approach your first run back in a way that helps you fall in love with it, rather than fearing it.
I say this time and time again on the podcast, but beating the crap out of yourself for not running isn’t helpful. It doesn’t produce the motivating feelings that make you want to get out there and experience the joy of running, but rather has you putting it off for even longer. So, my goal today is to offer up some suggestions on how to start up again in a way that is going to have you excited.
Listen in this week as I show you how to get started running again in a way that has you embracing the sheer joy that running brings you, and why embracing feeling like a beginner again can be so refreshing. Expecting to be at your pre-pandemic pace and fitness level straight out of the gate will only leave you frustrated, so I’m giving you some ways to play around with your runs to rediscover what you love about it.
The Not Your Average Runner team is supporting coach Jen’s organization, the Northern Illinois Food Bank, through The Rebel Run Virtual Race. The Chicago area has been hit hard economically by the pandemic and we’re trying to raise $5000 to help families in need. $10 from every single race registration for The Rebel Run Virtual Race goes directly to this food bank, and so if you’ve had a race canceled recently, this is a great opportunity for you to run and help people in need. Check it out here!
The Rebel Runner Roadmap is a 30-day online class where I teach you the fundamentals of running. This is a class where you’ll learn how to start running the right way, or how to up-level your running. From running form, strength training, stretching, to all the brain work, it’s all in there. Doors are open for enrollment now, so get in there!
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- Why beating yourself up for not running over the pandemic isn’t helpful.
- How you ruin your relationship with yourself when you berate yourself.
- My suggestions for your first run back.
- Why I want you to embrace feeling like a beginner again.
- How to get started running in a positive way.
- Why expecting to start at your old pace after a break is flawed thinking.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at email@example.com
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Join Run Your Best Life to get exclusive content from a podcast accessible just for members!
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- The Rebel Run Virtual Race
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!