On the podcast this week, I’ve got two guests who are on a very important mission to educate women on self-defense. Carrie Mugridge is a busy wife, mom of three kids, an elementary school teacher, a group fitness instructor, and an avid runner. On July 12th 2018, she was attacked by a man while she was out on a run, who tried to abduct and take advantage of her.
Jimmy Golden, the owner of Prime ATA and fifth-degree black belt, agreed to host and teach as many self-defense classes necessary to make the women of their town feel safer. Together, this team has hosted 14 classes with over 800 women and men, with more on the calendar. Carrie and Jimmy share so much valuable information and tips on how you can defend yourself while you’re out on a run, or just out in general, doing life.
Tune in to learn pivotal tips and tricks that may save your life. Remember, like any skill, this is your life we’re talking about, so once you’ve listened to this, it’s worth going back and practicing everything you’ve heard.This work is the only thing that has truly helped to heal what has happened to me, that has made my attacker grow smaller and made me feel like I can get some power back. - Carrie Mugridge Click To Tweet
What You’ll Learn From this Episode:
- Carrie’s story and how she came to do this work.
- What Carrie uses to go out on runs to feel safe and confident.
- Jimmy’s suggestions for what to do if you get attacked.
- The most common ways you might be attacked.
- Where to strike someone and where not to strike.
- The one thing you do not want to let happen.
- Jimmy’s thoughts on running when it’s dark out.
- Jimmy’s advice on bringing weapons with you on your runs.
- What to do if someone grabs you by your ponytail.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Join Run Your Best Life to get exclusive content from a podcast accessible just for members!
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Prime ATA: Website | Instagram | Facebook
- The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker
- Self Defense YouTube Video
- Bulldog Self-Defense Keychain
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!