In a society that’s been set up for us to completely check out of our physical experience through social media, alcohol, food, and even exercise, it’s no surprise if you often experience negative chatter about your body image, find yourself comparing yourself to other athletes, or seem to be working against your body in your sport, whether you’re a pro-level triathlete or a brand new runner.
This week, I’m sitting down with food freedom and body trust coach, Jane Pilger. Jane helps women who feel out of control around food develop safety and trust with themselves, and as athletes, this is one of the most important skills we can have. However, you’re not alone if you’re not able to experience yourself as an athlete, or what it truly feels like to be in partnership with your body.
If your lived experience of your body is one that’s currently centered around rejecting, bypassing, or ignoring it, listen in. Jane is offering her top tips for working in partnership with your body, and showing you how, without trust and acceptance, you will be at war with yourself for the rest of your life, even as you actively work towards your goals.
If you enjoyed this episode, you have got to check out Up and Running. It’s my 30-day online program that will teach you how to start running, stick with it, and become the runner you’ve always wanted to be. Click here to join and I can’t wait to see you there!
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- 2 things that shifted Jane’s experience of feeling out of control with food and her thoughts about herself as an athlete.
- How Jane discovered the ability to be in conversation with her body.
- Jane’s definition of body image.
- How the negative thoughts we have about our bodies get in our way as athletes.
- Why Jane believes body image issues show up more frequently in athletes.
- How body image issues show up in athletes of all sizes.
- The impact of negative body image on your performance and potential.
- How your body image is a reflection of where your personal work lies.
- Why you can’t work with your body when you’re thinking it needs to change.
- How to build trust and a level of partnership with your body.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here to get on the waitlist for Up and Running!
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Check out my books!
- Jane Pilger: Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Kona Ironman World Championship
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!