This week, I have an incredible guest on the show. She was actually my first ever interview almost three years ago, and she’s back for this episode to talk about how she’s keeping herself physically motivated during lockdown and mentally stable during a very challenging time.
Mirna Valerio is a former educator and cross-country coach. She’s now an ultrarunner, obstacle course enthusiast, and author of the memoir A Beautiful Work-in-Progress. Although she began running in high school, she recommitted to the sport after a health scare in 2008 which reignited her love for running. After that, she started her blog, Fat Girl Running, about her experiences as a larger woman in a world of thinner athletes. And I know y’all can relate to that.
Tune in this week as Mirna and I discuss how she’s keeping tabs on her mental wellbeing throughout lockdown, how that is keeping her moving physically, and how Mirna is coping with an injury and uncertainty about the races she has planned over the next few months. We’re also discussing some fun and insightful ways to educate yourself on the campaign for equality and sharing details of Mirna’s program: Introduction to Identity, Social Justice, and Anti-Racism for the White Community.
The Rebel Runner Roadmap is a 30-day online class where I teach you the fundamentals of running. This is a class where you’ll learn how to start running the right way, or how to up-level your running. From running form, strength training, stretching, to all the brain work, it’s all in there. Registration opens on June 22nd and we start June 30th, so mark your calendars and get on the waitlist!
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- How Mirna is learning to be grateful that her brain is “all over the place” as she puts it.
- Mirna’s philosophy on self-care and how she uses this to protect her mental health.
- How Mirna is making the most of the quarantine period in her business and in her personal life.
- Why Mirna has decided to adjust her use of social media over recent weeks.
- How reading non-fiction can help you empathize with a more diverse range of people and situations.
- Why Mirna is not mad about her running events being canceled, and why it’s okay to be mad if you are.
- How Mirna is finding new sports and ways to keep going through an injury.
- Where Mirna believes the real finish line is that we should all be focusing on right now.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at email@example.com
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Join Run Your Best Life to get exclusive content from a podcast accessible just for members!
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Mirna: Website | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Patreon
- A Beautiful Work-in-Progress by Mirna Valerio
- Fat Girl Running blog
- Introduction to Identity, Social Justice, and Anti-Racism for the White Community
- Hello Seven
- Natalie Miller
- Mike Ehredt
- Jasmine Guillory
- Jessamyn Stanley
- Jennifer Weiner
- The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See
- Algorithms of Oppression by Safiya Noble
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!