Now that spring is just around the corner, many of you are probably starting to think about 5K training. One very common way to approach your training is to download a free app like Couch to 5K. It’s a program that has been used by over five million people and has become wildly popular, so let’s break it down.
In theory, the Couch to 5K program is great. It’s what got me started running in the 90s, but there are a few problems with it. It’s the right choice for a very small slice of the population, however, if you’re a fat woman who has just started running and you use it without understanding the issues, you might end up discouraged, quitting, and even risk getting injured.
This episode is not a slam on the Couch to 5K program, but rather an assessment of what might be missing from it to make it something that truly everyone can use. So join me this week to hear the features of Couch to 5K that might mean it’s not the best choice for you, and how you can solve these problems in a way that works for you.
If you could guarantee your success in training for a half marathon by doing just one thing, would you do it? Well, I have just the thing and it’s called Run Your Best Life. This is the training program where you’ll have multiple coaches, a fantastic community, and endless resources to support you along the way. Run Your Best Life is now open to all women who want to get running, so hop on in!
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- How I used the Couch to 5K program to kickstart my running.
- 5 reasons this program is not the best choice for some runners.
- One thing that is missing from pretty much all free programs you can find on the internet.
- How this program has missed the opportunity to spread the message that running is for everybody.
- My tips on how to solve for the problems the Couch to 5K program presents.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at email@example.com
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Check out my books!
- Ep #33: How to Coach Yourself
- Ep #282: How to Feel Better About Coming in Last
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!