I’ve spent my life avoiding discomfort and emotions that I don’t want to experience, and I know many of you are doing the same, whether you’re aware of it right now or not. We’re constantly in search of comfort and distractions that bring us pleasure in the short-term, like drinking wine or eating Cheetos, or even going for a run when you’re in the thick of it. And I hate to break it to you, but even a healthy activity such as running isn’t going to fix feeling angry or stressed.
This week, I want to show you why discomfort doesn’t mean anything has gone wrong and how experiencing negative emotions won’t destroy you. Learning how to allow uncomfortable emotions in your body will give you a deeper understanding of what’s causing them, and this is the secret to breaking cycles of ‘buffering’ that aren’t serving you. There’s both bad and good news I’m sharing with you here, but you’ll feel so empowered when you can see that the power to change your life lies with you.
Join me this week as we take a deeper look at your thinking. You have the option to choose actions that serve you in the long-run, and becoming aware of your thoughts is the key to this process.
The doors to The Rebel Runner Roadmap are open for enrollment! It’s a 30-day online class where I teach you the fundamentals of running. This is a class where you’ll learn how to start running the right way, or how to up-level your running. From running form, strength training, stretching, to all the brain work, it’s all in there. Check it out here and I can’t wait to see you there!
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- Why we tend to avoid uncomfortable emotions.
- My word of the year and why I picked it.
- What buffers are and why they don’t work in the long-term.
- Why we struggle to break habits that bring us pleasure, especially when we use them as a distraction.
- How everything we do is in search of an emotion.
- Why the power to change your life lies in experiencing the emotions you want to push away.
- How buffering blocks you from understanding what is going on under the surface.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Join Run Your Best Life to get exclusive content from a podcast accessible just for members!
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Ep #33: How to Coach Yourself
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!