A common question that still comes up all the time, especially at this time of year, is “How do I get started running again after taking a break?” Whether you’ve had a 10-year break or a 10-day break, running again can bring up a lot of drama, especially if you have stories about why you took the break in the first place.
If you’ve been through an injury, of course, you’re going to feel some hesitation about getting your running shoes back on. But even if you weren’t injured, your brain’s going to come up with all kinds of bullshit thoughts about why you shouldn’t start again. So in this episode, I’m giving you the solution.
Tune in to discover the best way to get started running again after a break, and it’s way simpler than you might think. I’m sharing how to take the mental drama out of this whole situation, how to plan your comeback, and why now is always the very best time to get back out there.
We’re kicking off 2022 with a free challenge that’s going to give you the kick in the pants you need. Every day for one week, from December 29th to January 4th, I’m giving you small steps to add to your running routine so you can get off on the right foot and reestablish your runner identity in the new year. Click here to sign up!
If you enjoyed this episode, you have to check out the Rebel Runner Roadmap! It’s my 30-day learn-to-run class where I get you set up to train for a 5K! It starts on January 18th, so click here to join the waitlist!
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- Why waiting longer isn’t going to make restarting easier.
- How I see some runners blow the loss of fitness from a short break way out of proportion.
- Why struggling is just a thought that you have the power to change.
- Some examples of thoughts that are holding you back right now.
- How to move past these thoughts and start running again after a break, no matter how long you have been out.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at email@example.com
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Ep #75: How to Get Started Again After a Break
- Ep #244: How to Coach Yourself 2.0
- Genetic Endurance Exercise Study
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!