Last summer, one of my Instagram reels went viral. It showed me running in different locations and I talked about how you don’t need to lose weight to be a runner. As with anything, there were tons of supportive comments as well as plenty of people who commented that I should lose weight or that I’m ruining my knees as a fat runner.
However, there was another set of commenters who suggested I’m glorifying obesity, and this blew my mind. Showing up in my fat body to share with other women that they can do it too is not promoting or glorifying obesity in any way. It does give me an opening to discuss what obesity actually is, and why labeling someone as obese is far from helpful.
Join me on this episode as I share why the notion that I’m glorifying obesity is ludicrous. You’ll hear the history behind our opinions about obesity, how BMI is being used with no consideration to whether it’s actually relevant, and how I’m glorifying body acceptance rather than trying to influence everyone to be fat.
If you could guarantee your success in training for a half marathon by doing just one thing, would you do it? Well, I have just the thing and it’s called Run Your Best Life. This is the training program where you’ll have multiple coaches, a fantastic community, and endless resources to support you along the way. Run Your Best Life is now open to all women who want to get running, so hop on in!
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- What glorifying obesity actually looks like.
- The history behind the prevailing opinions about obesity.
- Why labeling someone as obese is not helpful.
- What Body Mass Index does not consider.
- Why I don’t use the words overweight or obese to describe myself.
- How there is no such thing as a perfect body.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Check out my books!
- Click here to watch the replay of this webinar!
- Jason Momoa
- Lambert Adolphe Jacques Quetelet
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!