Have you ever noticed when you’re anticipating an unknown outcome, whether it’s a race, long-distance training run, or generally anything in your life really, that your brain spins with worry?
Our brains have evolved to worry about our surrounding dangers and this fear is a primal human emotion that can stop you in your tracks. What I’m delving into on this episode is why worrying is unhelpful, and I’ll also outline three steps you can practice to unlearn this habit. People say that worrying helps them “prepare for the worst,” but I want to highlight the only thing you can do to really be prepared for an undesirable outcome.
Join me this week for a chat all about worry and how much of a waste of time it is! Worrying is something we’ve all taught ourselves to do, and it’s completely useless, but don’t worry because like anything else we’ve come to develop as habits, it can be unlearned!Worry is just your brain asking a bunch of shitty questions that have no good answer. Click To Tweet
I’m taking a crew of women to New Orleans in February to run the Rock n Roll half there for a once in a lifetime race-cation with more races planned for 2019! If you have a half marathon on your bucket list or if you’ve done a five-mile run within the past month, I want you to sign up for a quick call with my team! This trip is going to be epic and you do not want to miss it!
What You’ll Learn From this Episode:
- Why worrying is a complete waste of time.
- The only way to “prepare for the worst.”
- What’s really happening when you worry.
- How to unlearn the skill of worrying.
- 3 things to do when you find yourself worrying.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at email@example.com
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Join Run Your Best Life to get exclusive content from a podcast accessible just for members!
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- New Orleans Rock ‘n’ Roll half marathon
- Seattle Rock ‘n’ Roll half marathon
- Savannah Rock ‘n’ Roll half marathon
- Ep #33: How to Coach Yourself
- Skirt Sports (Use code NYAR20 for 20% off your order!)
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!