The concept of motivation is constantly shoved down our throats especially on social media. We’ve been conditioned to believe that if we’re not perfect, whether that’s in relation to running or anything else, we have to start all over. And of course, our inner bully is always ready to remind us of what a failure we are.
The truth is I’m rarely motivated to run or lift weights. I definitely have days where I just skip a workout if I don’t feel like it and after 25 years, I’m no more motivated than I was at the very beginning of my journey. The only difference between present me and past me is that I now understand what motivation really is, and why it’s actually a quiet, calm, and sometimes boring energy.
Join me this week to discover why motivation is bullshit and what you should do instead. You’ll hear why forcing yourself to run isn’t a useful strategy, what happens when you think perfection is the only path to success, and three simple thought shifts that will not only transform the way you approach running, but change your entire life.
On Sunday, March 19th 2023 at noon Eastern, I’m teaching a free workshop on the most common mistakes fat runners make and how to fix them! I’ll be sharing the top three things we usually get wrong and that keep you from getting the results you want. It’s totally free, so click here to register!
If you could guarantee your success in training for a half marathon by doing just one thing, would you do it? Well, I have just the thing and it’s called Run Your Best Life. This is the training program where you’ll have multiple coaches, a fantastic community, and endless resources to support you along the way. Run Your Best Life is now open to all women who want to get running, so hop on in!
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- Why adherence to a workout schedule doesn’t make you morally superior.
- How guilt and shame kick motivation out the window.
- What motivation really is.
- How I love thinking about motivation.
- 3 simple mindset hacks to help you stay motivated without drama.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Check out my books!
- Find Your Strong Podcast
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!