I’ve got Jen Lamplough back on the podcast this week, but this episode is going to be slightly different from our usual routine. Jen recently ran a race about a month ago and has a really important story to tell that I think will benefit all of you.
If you’ve been around for a while, you’ve heard me say this before – 80% of the work is mental when it comes to your running, and Jen’s story today proves this true. There was a lot of mental drama for Jen at this race, and I’m sure all of you are going to be enraged as you listen too, but there’s a really important lesson here for all of us to remember.
Join us today as we unpack Jen’s experience and get a refresher on why working on your mindset is crucial to any run or race you do. Comparison and judgment are so unhelpful in any situation, not just when it comes to running, but it can be hard to spot, so hopefully our chat today helps you see the importance of noticing your thoughts to drive yourself forward and get the results you want.
We’re going to be doing a free webinar on Tuesday, August 13th at 7pm Eastern where we’ll be talking about how to prep for your first 5K! We’ll be incorporating the mindset concepts we discussed on the podcast today to help you get your mind right before a race, so make sure you sign up!
We are working on consistency in Run Your Best Life for the month of August. September is a time where we see our training plans ramped up and more runners joining us, so we will be learning the minimum baseline along with lots of other tools to help you stay motivated. If your excitement is wearing off and you need some support, join us there!
What You’ll Learn From this Episode:
- How Jen’s most recent race went.
- The models that were running through Jen’s mind at the race.
- How Jen redirected her thinking when she had mental drama at the race.
- Why we’re compelled to judge and compare ourselves to others and why it’s unhelpful.
- How Jen would have coached someone who was in the same position.
- Why you need to do the mental work before your physical training.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at email@example.com
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Join Run Your Best Life to get exclusive content from a podcast accessible just for members!
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Half Marathon course
- Not Your Average Runner Swag Shop
- Jen’s Facebook Live video:
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!