If you’re a runner with knees, hips, ankles, and a spine, listen in. My guest this week is Deb Malkin, a fat chronic pain coach and former massage therapist who is committed to helping people feel at home in their bodies. As runners, I know all of you feel pain sometimes, and Deb and I are diving into all things pain and brain fun.
We’ve all been sold ideas about pain that are either inherently biased towards fat people, like that it’s normal for our joints to hurt if we run, or that the fear signals we receive from our brain about pain are real. Deb is here to demystify the complex nature of the mind-body communication as it relates to pain, and to offer some tips for beginning to change your relationship to pain, whether acute or chronic.
Join us this week as Deb gives us the lowdown on the science behind pain, and how, while pain can be learned, it is not a figment of your imagination. We’re also discussing the relationship between pain and fear, and Deb’s process for differentiating between learned pain and a potential injury.
If you enjoyed this episode, you have got to check out Up and Running. It’s my 30-day online program that will teach you how to start running, stick with it, and become the runner you’ve always wanted to be. Click here to join and I can’t wait to see you there!
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- What brought Deb to the work of healing chronic pain.
- How pain, whether chronic or acute, is a decision the brain makes.
- The relationship between fear and pain.
- Why what we think and believe is so important for healing.
- How pain becomes learned and perpetuated.
- The inherent bias against fat bodies and pain.
- Deb’s favorite tools for starting to change your relationship to pain.
- How to differentiate between learned pain and a potential injury.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here to get on the waitlist for Up and Running!
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Check out my books!
- Deb Malkin: Website | Instagram | Podcast
- Kili Big
- Curable app
- Healing Back Pain by John E. Sarno
- The Mindbody Prescription by John E. Sarno
- Dr. Howard Schubiner
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!