My guest this week is the host of the Redefining Rest Podcast, where she unpacks how our society promotes the narrow and false idea that rest that has to be earned and productivity makes you worthy. And if there’s one thing every runner needs, it’s more rest.
Marissa McKool is a former public health leader turned career and life coach who helps public health professionals change their relationship to rest so they can eliminate their mental, emotional, and physical burnout. She helps people free themselves from the belief that rest is limited and finite, so you can define what rest truly means for you, take more of it, and eliminate your burnout.
Tune in this week to discover why, despite what you might currently believe, you really deserve a rest, and how to decide on the kind of rest your brain and body need. We’re discussing the unconscious beliefs and societal conditioning that has us believe that we need to earn our rest, that we don’t deserve it, and why we need to stop with these thoughts before burnout and injury inevitably set in.
If you enjoyed this episode, you have got to check out Up and Running. It’s my 30-day online program that will teach you how to start running, stick with it, and become the runner you’ve always wanted to be. Click here to join and I can’t wait to see you there!
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- Marissa’s reluctance about calling herself a runner, even though she was running all the time.
- How Marissa found herself burning out, and decided she wanted to help people going through the same thing.
- Why so many runners are denying themselves the rest our brains and bodies need.
- The false assumptions so many of us have about what rest looks like.
- How too many people believe that productivity is more important than rest, and rest is just not a choice that is available to them.
- Why rest isn’t something that we have to earn, and how productivity culture and the patriarchy have tried to make us believe it is.
- How to decide what rest looks like for you, and how to get the rest you really need.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here to get on the waitlist for Up and Running!
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Marissa McKool: Website | Instagram | LinkedIn | Podcast
- Kara Loewentheil
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!