My guest this week is someone with a wealth of wisdom and experience to share with the running world. Martinus Evans, also known as 300 Pounds and Running, is the founder of Slow AF Run Club: the best community for slow runners and walkers on the internet that aims to celebrate diversity and change the sport one step at a time.
Martinus first made an appearance on this show five years ago, and he’s back this week to talk about his book, Slow AF Run Club: The Ultimate Guide for Anyone Who Wants to Run, and to share his mission of empowering everyone to get out and start running, regardless of weight or size.
Listen in this week as Martinus shares his running journey with us, and some of the challenges he’s experienced as a fat Black runner. He’s offering his thoughts on being a back-of-the-pack runner, the importance of cultivating mental toughness, how he quiets his inner critic, and why developing delusional self-belief will change your life.
If you could guarantee your success in training for a half marathon by doing just one thing, would you do it? Well, I have just the thing and it’s called Run Your Best Life. This is the training program where you’ll have multiple coaches, a fantastic community, and endless resources to support you along the way. Run Your Best Life is now open to all women who want to get running, so hop on in!
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- Why Martinus’s mission is to empower everyone to get out and start running, regardless of their weight or size.
- The story of how Martinus started running.
- Martinus’s experience of running his first marathon, and what his training plan looked like.
- The mantra that has led Martinus across 8 marathon finish lines.
- How Martinus quiets his inner critic and develops his mental toughness.
- What running by yourself can teach you.
- The power of practicing delusional self-belief.
- Martinus’s experience of being a Black man in the running world, and how we can be allies to Black runners.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at email@example.com
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Check out my books!
- Martinus Evans: Website | Instagram | Podcast
- Slow AF Run Club
- Slow AF Run Club: The Ultimate Guide for Anyone Who Wants to Run by Martinus Evans
- Ep #18: Challenging Perceptions with Latoya Shauntay Snell and Martinus Evans
- Send Me, I’ll Go by The Canton Spirituals
- Pocket Books
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!