Last week, we talked all about doing hard things and I told you my own personal half marathon story that changed my life. So today, I’m here to help you with the nitty-gritty of actually doing those hard things! When we set a big goal, it’s so exciting. We get that little hit of dopamine and our brain lights up when we think about how badass we’re going to feel.
It’s fun to think about, but the doing of the goal is a whole other story. Your training plan might involve long runs on weekends, strength training on the regular, and all with the backdrop of thinking, “What if it’s too hard?” When we get into these thoughts, we get scared, and maybe even feel like giving up. Does this sound familiar?
If you’ve ever set yourself a big goal and then tanked halfway through working on it, tune in this week because I’m sharing the process I use to help me stay accountable to myself and my training plan when things get tough.
If you want to run your first half marathon, I’m running an intimate coaching group for just eight runners. I’ll be in daily contact with every member of the group, providing regular coaching, and guiding you through training for your first half marathon. If you’ve tried and failed, or been too scared to try in the past, or tried, then succeeded, but hated it the whole way, this is the group for you. Class starts the first week in August, so for more information or to join Big Fat Half Marathon, click here!
If you enjoyed this episode, you have got to check out Up and Running. It’s my 30-day online program that will teach you how to start running, stick with it, and become the runner you’ve always wanted to be. Click here to join and I can’t wait to see you there!
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- Why wanting to give up when things get difficult doesn’t make you lazy or undisciplined.
- How to see where your brain might be scared and telling you a bunch of BS thoughts about yourself.
- The ways your brain will try to distract you when you really start to push yourself.
- Why your brain can be your best tool instead of your worst enemy when going after something new.
- How to develop the systems to help you out when your brain gets scared, instead of letting it run wild, so you can just worry about the easy part: running.
- My 3-step process for choosing a training plan and staying accountable to it.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here to get on the waitlist for Up and Running!
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Ep #33: How to Coach Yourself
- Ep #257: The Half Marathon That Changed My Life
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!