This week, I’m giving you some tough love around a concept that’s so deeply ingrained in our society, but one that’s problematic when it comes to getting what you want – in running or anything else. This idea of being “on the wagon” has been around forever, and while it suggests riding along to your desired result, I’m not a fan.
Being on the wagon, off the wagon, on track or off track, this metaphorical idea is actually keeping you stuck if you subscribe to it in your life. This suggestion of being good or bad, depending on whether you’re sticking to a particular plan you’ve created for yourself makes it harder for you to keep going when you inevitably slip up – because we all do – and leads you only down the path of negative emotion with no room for growth.
Listen in this week to learn why the mental shift of letting this concept go is so crucial to your growth in the long-term, and how holding onto it is actually perfectionist thinking, which we all know isn’t useful for anyone.
The Rebel Runner Roadmap is a 30-day online class where I teach you the fundamentals of running. This is a class where you’ll learn how to start running the right way, or how to up-level your running. From running form, strength training, stretching, to all the brain work, it’s all in there. Doors are reopening on April 6th 2020, so check it out here and get on the waiting list for the next round of enrollment… I can’t wait to see you there!
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- What the concept of being “on the wagon” really means.
- Why I believe this idea of being on or off the wagon is bullshit.
- How subscribing to the wagon metaphor keeps you stuck.
- Why there is no such thing as being “bad” if you ate off your plan or missed a run.
- How striving for perfection will make you quit.
- Why the phrase “starting over” is actually a lie you’re telling yourself.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Join Run Your Best Life to get exclusive content from a podcast accessible just for members!
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Seinfeld – On the Wagon, Off the Wagon
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!