You’ve probably heard me gush about today’s guest on previous episodes, and I’m so excited to have her on the podcast this week. Nancy Brown is a personal trainer who focuses on being health-at-every-size-friendly. She works with many plus-size clients, and she’s my trainer, which I can’t even begin to express how exciting that is.
If you’re a long-time listener, or frankly, a listener here for any duration of time, you’ve heard me stress the importance of integrating strength training into your routine. And if you’ve disregarded this call in the past, you most definitely need this episode. I’m leaving it to Nancy today to show you why it’s so critical for your long-term goals as a runner, and how to start strength training if it’s something that feels scary right now.
Listen in this week as I quiz Nancy on everything strength training. We’re diving into the considerations you have to take when you start strength training as a plus-sized person, Nancy’s tips for getting the most out of your squats, and we’re also debunking a few myths that might be holding you back from getting started.
If you enjoy listening to this show, you have to check out the Rebel Runner Roadmap! It’s a 30-day online program that will teach you exactly how to start running, stick with it, and become the runner you’ve always wanted to be. If you want 2021 to be your year to become a runner, come join us and I can’t wait to meet you in there!
If you’re just starting out on your running journey or getting back into it after some time off, I want you to sign up for my free 30-day Running Start Kit. Just click here to sign up, and make sure to share it with anyone else who could use it!
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- The 2 reasons Nancy started lifting weights.
- Why Nancy transitioned from bodybuilding into powerlifting and Olympic lifting.
- How Nancy ended up as a personal trainer.
- The considerations you have to take when starting strength training as a plus-sized person.
- Why strength training doesn’t have to be about body transformation.
- How Nancy integrates the coaching model into the work she does with her clients.
- Nancy’s tips for getting the most out of your squats.
- How to master shifting your weight on single-leg movements.
- The biggest myth about strength training.
- How focusing on crunches could make you a worse runner.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Join Run Your Best Life to get exclusive content from a podcast accessible just for members!
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Nancy Brown: Website | Instagram | Email
- Nancy’s article on squatting
- Dr. Pat Davidson
- Dr. Jordan Metzl
- Running Strong by Dr. Jorden Metzl
- Kara Loewentheil
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!