September is the perfect time of year to start running if you’re a brand new beginner, or a great time to get back into it if you’ve taken some time off. The kids are back in school and the heat from summer is starting to die down, and you’ve got a couple of months before the next holiday season to train.
This week, I’m sharing some tips to avoid common mistakes I’ve seen with people training for a 5K race. I’m diving into five different areas that I think will slow down your training or give you an unsatisfactory finish on race day so that you can be prepared ahead of time to make this the best experience possible. And even if you’re a seasoned runner, these tips will be a great reminder for you to stay on track and keep your inner mean girl at bay.
Listen in today as I discuss why September is my favorite time of year, and why I think it’s a perfect window for you to start training for 5K. I’m going to help you eliminate common problems that will either stifle your training or make race day miserable, so let’s get to it!
Our 5K training program is kicking off on the 9th of September! If you want to do a 5K and you don’t have a training group, this is the place to be. Not only do we have a training plan for you to follow, but we accommodate runners of all levels and give you guidance on the mental work that’s required too. You’ll also have access to the most supportive group of women I have ever seen, so what are you waiting for? See you there!
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- Why I think September is the best time to get back into running.
- 5 common mistakes to eliminate for a stress-free training period and race day.
- My issues with the Couch to 5K program.
- What to look out for in a training plan and how to test if Couch to 5K is a good fit for you.
- How to think about your energy expenditure during a race.
- Why you shouldn’t try anything new on race day.
- What is really happening when you’re worried about finishing last.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Join Run Your Best Life to get exclusive content from a podcast accessible just for members!
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Panel discussion with our Run Your Best Life members
- Anti Monkey Butt Powder
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!