I have received many angry personal messages from people over the years, as well as general societal messaging, saying fat people can’t be athletic, whether that’s running, climbing, cycling, et cetera. You might already know that the mission for Not Your Average Runner is to get a million more women up and running, and visibility definitely plays into that plan.
Today, I’m sharing with you the power of visibility and how being bold in your community can make a tremendous difference in letting others know that more is possible for them, no matter their size. I’m also talking about our recent trip to Seattle for the Rock ‘n’ Roll half marathon, and I am so proud of all the ladies who absolutely killed it!
Inclusivity starts with you showing the fuck up and letting others know that doing the same is okay. If this sounds too scary and you need some help in making an impact, join us over at Run Your Best Life. See you there!
If you’ve been holding out for half marathon training in the Run Your Best Life group, now is the time to sign up! We start the half marathon training on July 15th and it runs all the way to the very end of October! This class is perfect for both beginners and more experienced runners so get in there now!
What You’ll Learn From this Episode:
- How the Seattle Rock ‘n’ Roll half marathon went.
- What visibility means when applied to women in sports.
- Why visibility for women is one of my missions.
- The effect of not featuring people of size.
- Why it’s important to be an example of what’s possible, even though it comes with risks.
- What you’re really doing when you’re self-deprecating.
- How you can influence others to explore athletic movement.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at email@example.com
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Join Run Your Best Life to get exclusive content from a podcast accessible just for members!
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- From the Blog: Seattle Racecation Report
- Skirt Sports
- Free Solo
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!