This week’s topic is something I’m sure all of you will be familiar with: procrastination. I’ve done it, you’ve done it, and I can guarantee that everyone else does it too. There is a lot of mind drama related to it and it’s something we need to address because there’s a good chance you’re just lying to yourself.
I love doing these podcasts and by no means does procrastinating mean I dread the process, but truthfully, I procrastinate every week when I have to sit down and get it done. The same way you might be telling yourself you don’t really want to go out and run, or that you’re too tired and will do it later. Today, I’m exploring why we procrastinate and how all these thoughts you tell yourself are really just lies.
If you haven’t listened to last week’s episode, go back and listen to it because I’ve shared some really useful tools in helping you curb putting things off, especially when it comes to your runs and workouts. Stay tuned to the end too to learn a really fun thought work technique I’ve been obsessed with lately!
I am doing a free 5K training class on August 13th at 7pm Eastern! You’re going to get all of my best advice on how to train for a 5K and you’ll benefit whether you’re a brand new runner or if you’ve been doing it a while. This is a great time of year to get started training for a 5K, so join us there!
We are working on consistency and how not to procrastinate in Run Your Best Life for the month of August. September is a time where we see our training plans ramped up and more runners joining us, so we will be learning the minimum baseline along with lots of other tools to help you stay motivated. If your excitement is wearing off and you need some support, join us there!
What You’ll Learn From this Episode:
- Why there is only one thought and emotion that causes procrastination.
- How I prepare my podcasts and the thoughts that make me procrastinate doing them.
- Why the feeling of relief in and of itself doesn’t feel good.
- How resistance affects our decisions.
- An exercise to help you deliberately override your procrastination.
- How you are lying to yourself when you’re procrastinating a run.
- Alternative thoughts you can think when you find yourself wanting to procrastinate.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Join Run Your Best Life to get exclusive content from a podcast accessible just for members!
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Half Marathon course
- Ep #102: Minimum Baseline and the Drama Threshold
- Ep #33: How to Coach Yourself
- Mind maps of my models:
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!