This week, we’re talking about how to process a DNF or a DFL, or a DNS. So, for those of you who don’t know, DNF stands for Did Not Finish. DFL means Dead Fucking Last. And a DNS means Did Not Start. I’ll be honest with you: it’s more than likely you will experience one or all of these as you begin your running journey. But don’t let that put you off.
I’m sure a lot of you have heard somebody say that a DFL is better than a DNF, which is better than a DNS. I hate that saying, and I don’t think it’s helpful in the slightest. So in this episode, I’m giving you some different ways to think about this, instead of telling yourself shitty stories about being a failure.
Tune in this week to gain some awareness around what you’re thinking about not finishing a race, not starting a race, or coming dead fucking last. I’m sharing why one is never better than the other, and how to process the emotions you experience, instead of making these things mean you’re a failure.
Big things are afoot over here at Not Your Average Runner. The Rebel Runner Roadmap is changing her name! It starts with the next class, which is open for registration on March 30th and it’s still going to have all of the awesome content and community that I know you love. Only now, she’s going to be called Up and Running, because that’s what you’re going to be when you join this program.
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- Why wanting to run doesn’t make you any more or less worthy than someone who doesn’t.
- The situations where it’s actually smart to not show up to a race at all.
- Why finishing last isn’t necessarily better than not finishing.
- How to process a DNF, DFL, or DNS when you’re having negative thoughts about it, and find the good without indulging in delusional positivity.
- Why all of your thoughts and emotions are 100% valid here.
- My own experience of a DNF and why it was the best possible outcome that day.
- What you can do to tell yourself a more empowering story about pulling out of a race, deciding not to race, or coming home in dead fucking last.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you have any questions you’d like answered on the show, email me at email@example.com
- Join the Not Your Average Runner Private Facebook Community
- Not Your Average Runner Instagram
- Jon Acuff
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!